Please do get in touch if you are considering applying for a PGCE for September 2022! We will be holding an open morning on Friday 5 November at Eleanor Palmer Primary School, where Vicky and our Lead Mentor, Rosie Thomson, will explain about our programme and give you an opportunity to have a look round our inspirational school.
If you are considering making an application for our 2022-23 PGCE programme and would like to attend an open morning, please do get in touch by emailing Vicky or giving her a call on 020 7485 2155.
We play a key role in training new teachers through a unique route that we have devised ourselves to give you the best training experience and as much exposure to different classroom environments as possible. We work alongside UCL (its Institute of Education) and 12 other excellent local Camden schools to deliver a really successful programme!
The qualification at the end is a PGCE with masters credits and the correct level to teach anywhere in the world, the same as doing a PGCE at a university, unlike simple QTS (qualified teacher status) which is the qualification offered on most salaried training routes. But our programme is also different because, as well as attending all the same lectures as other PGCE students at UCL, our students also get together each week for specific, additional school-based training sessions every Thursday during their school placements, which gives them a valuable support group and fantastic additional training from outstanding school-based practitioners. We run sessions on behaviour, planning, questioning etc, in our small group context in a way that a large lecture group cannot. Our group also know they will do their placements in fantastic schools right here in the London Borough of Camden, schools that they come to know well over the year, rather than potential practices at schools right across the capital which do not work in a partnership to ensure consistency and quality, as we do. We were one of the first schools to lead on school-based teacher training. A large proportion of each year’s students have started jobs in Camden Schools and are continuing to be supported by us during their NQT year in Camden and beyond. We have been running Camden’s NQT Programme since September 2016 so offer a comprehensive year of training to follow the PGCE year. Camden is a great place to work and its investment in its teachers and their professional development is first class.
The school placement element of your PGCE programme will take place in two of our thirteen partner schools. In additional to Eleanor Palmer these are: Brecknock Primary School; Christopher Hatton Primary School, Fleet Primary School, Torriano Primary School, Kentish Town CofE Primary School, Rhyl Primary School, Gospel Oak Primary School, Netley Primary School, Holy Trinity CE School NW1, Thomas Coram Early Years Centre, Brookfield Primary School, and Primrose Hill Primary School. In short we offer:
- Access to teaching practices in fantastic schools in an outstanding borough;
- Schools that have strong and long standing links with UCL’s Institute of Education;
- The opportunity to ‘front-load’ the training year with the chance to observe outstanding practice;
- Experience in genuinely comprehensive schools where you would gain experience of both very challenging pupils and also some exceptionally high achievers;
- School-based tutorials as a group led by experienced members of school Leadership teams;
- Learning in schools that share a strong commitment to child centred hands on learning rooted in an exciting topic based approach;
- The chance to train amongst highly committed, enthusiastic professional staff who genuinely love their jobs;
- The opportunity to become part of a school community, gaining understanding of the richness and complexities of primary teaching.
- Strong programme leadership by Eleanor Palmer Deputy Head, Sally Hill and from the UCL team. Sally liaises with mentors and classteachers from our across our partner schools to ensure that all students have a very well-supported ITT experience.
The official title of this pathway is ‘School Direct unsalaried’. It is a fee paying programme, and fees for the 2021-22 year are £9,250. We do not yet know the fees for 2022-23. We have run this programme (in conjunction with the IoE) since 2013 and each year we recruit up to 20 students who enjoy and thrive in our full and varied programme. Applications for 2022-2023 will be made the DfE’s new application portal when it opens in October. In addition to offering the options of focusing on EYFS/KS1 or KS1/KS2 in your training, we also offer a Maths Primary Specialist option.
Reviews from previous students include:
“Being part of such an inspirational group of schools has given us the opportunity to observe outstanding practice. We’re part of a really supportive group and have been welcomed into our schools from the very start.”
“What makes School Direct with the Camden Primary Partnership special is the chance to work and learn hands-on in the best primary schools in the country, each with its own unique teaching and learning ethos and a generosity of spirit in sharing skills, mentoring and expertise.”
As a trainee teacher on our PGCE programme, we expect candidates to:
- Have a good degree and a high standard of education;
- Have a commitment to our approach to learning;
- Have the desire to approach curriculum planning in a creative and imaginative way;
- Have very high standards for the children and themselves;
- Be committed to inclusion in terms of social class, race and ability;
- Have a genuine interest in educational thinking and debate;
- Have the ability and willingness to continuously reflect, improve and learn from mistakes;
- Have high levels of interpersonal and communication skills;
- Have the ability to sustain optimism, energy and a positive outlook under pressure and challenge;
- Have the capacity for hard work, and a sense of humour.
You can contact Vicky on Vicky@eleanorpalmer.camden.sch.uk or call her on 020 7485 2155 to pop in for a chat or sign up for one of our open days. Please click here for our current brochure.