We have a long held philosophy that children learn best through a curriculum that has rigour, depth and breadth and which connects areas of learning.
Read more in our section on topic work and click back through our news archive – over 1000 posts – to see multiple examples of our rich and challenging curriculum over the years!
Of course as a primary school, our core purpose is to ensure all our pupils attain the highest standards in all aspects of literacy and maths leaving this school with both high levels of attainment and having progressed well from their starting point. We believe that we will be more successful if this core goal is enshrined in a clear and shared approach to teaching and learning and to school ethos.
Our core aims as a school are:
- To inspire in all pupils a love of learning and the desire to continue to learn;
- To equip all pupils with the tools and self-confidence necessary to constructively influence their own lives;
- To ensure that all pupils have an equal opportunity to take part in the life and work of the school;
- To be a place every child remembers with affection and pride.
As a school we work from some core principles of teaching and learning which shape how we then plan and teach:
- We place a high value on creativity in all aspects of school life and work;
- Knowledge is central to our curriculum design and we ensure children acquire key concepts to support and frame future learning;
- We strive to make learning vivid and real through a rich programme of trips and expert visitors;
- We see questions – and mistakes – as central to learning and we encourage ‘growth mindsets’;
- We work to ensure all learners succeed and that every child is confident, happy and secure;
- We aim high and value excellence;
- We take every opportunity to recognise and celebrate success;
- Special events and traditions play an important role in school life;
- We have at our core a commitment to equality of opportunity ;
- Everyone at this school works hard and enjoys themselves!